How do I join Freeside?
So you want to be a member of Freeside Atlanta, eh? Awesome!
Feel free to drop in to our weekly meetings on Tuesdays at 7:30p to meet some folks and see what we've got going on. If you like what you see, and there's a project or class you're interested in, then start showing up to the project meetings or register for classes.
We are a friendly group and welcome newcomers. However, we do want to get to know you first. Here is the process for becoming a new member.
- Find two sponsors. In other words, come to some events and meet some folks.
- Send your bio and responses to some of the questions below to your sponsors.
- After a little while, if nobody has an objection, then you're in! Welcome to the party!
- You will get all of the cool stuff that comes with being a member - check out the Benefits!
Quick re-cap: get two sponsors, participate in regular open events, be positive and awesome at all times, and then you'll get to be a member.
What happens after I join?
After you join, you'll be notified via email by the Secretary letting you know you has new membership. After that:
- Proceed to pay your dues, or get with the Treasurer to set up your first payment.
- Sign the waiver! Remember, the only limit is yourself!
- Familiarize yourself with our Policies.
- IT will set you up with your key card, which gives you 24/7 access to the space.
How much is membership?
Freeside members pay one of two dues amounts for their membership - If you meet the program requirements (typically, being a student or unemployed), you pay the Policy_StarvingHackerProgram Starving Hacker Program rate of $40 per month. Otherwise, Freeside membership is $80 per month.
$80 per month is pretty close to what you would have to save over two years to get your own Makerbot Replicator 2 or Lulzbot Taz 3D printer. For your Freeside dues, you get access to several 3D printers, a community of people to work with on them, as well as access to a laser cutter, wood shop, machine shop, electronics lab, HAM radio shack, craft room, media lab, auditorium, classroom, and more!
Anywhoozle, you don't have to be a member to take classes, hang out at our events, and get involved. Come out for that and see if building, growing, and developing this space and community is something that you're interested in!
1. What do you think you can offer the space? (Skills, personality, a nice smile, etc.)
2. What do you think the space can offer you? (New talent, social networking, space to work, etc.)
3. What are some current project you are working on/want to work on? (If you have past projects you're proud of, now's the time to boast too)
5. How did you find/get interested in the space?
6.What classes would you be interested in seeing at the space? What might you be willing to teach?
7. What does the term 'hackerspace' mean to you?